Call for RHM Symposium Co-Chair
EXTENDED Submission deadline: February 1st, 2022!
The current chair and advisory committee for the Rhetoric of Health & Medicine (RHM) Symposium invite applications (letter of interest and CV) for a new co-chair! We are beginning a new process of staggering and rotating co-chairs such that each co-chair plans two symposia. This process will help us share experience and transfer knowledge from previous co-chairs to folks new to the role.
The co-chair role will include co-chairing the 2023 and 2025 RHM Symposia. The new co-chair should be an accomplished RHM scholar who is conversant with and committed to the symposium’s goals. The new co-chair will join Molly Kessler (who rotated into the chair role following Lisa Melonçon, chair 2013 – 2020). Please note: this is a volunteer position.
Symposia co-chairs are supported by a planning committee and advisory panel of past and present RHM leadership (including Lisa Melonçon, Blake Scott, and the RHM editorial team). The co-chair will share the following duties with the other co-chair.
- Identify the symposium theme and write a CFP;
- Establish a planning committee to advise and assist with symposium planning;
- Determine and secure symposium location and funding;
- Determine symposium schedule;
- Identify, invite, and coordinate keynote/plenary speakers, and facilitators;
- Oversee proposal submission and review processes and award selection for accepted submissions;
- Communicate with (potential) participants, speakers, and facilitators;
- Develop content and manage the symposium website;
- Coordinate symposium working groups;
- Manage and collaborate with symposium volunteers;
- Ensure the symposium is accessible and inclusive for all (potential) participants;
- Participate in the selection, training, and support of future co-chairs within the term of this appointment.
Letter of Interest Guidelines
Interested folks are invited to submit a letter of interest and CV by February 1 2022 to Molly Kessler at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter of interest, please explain your interest in the position, discuss relevant experience, outline your vision for the symposium, and, if possible, articulate any institutional resources you might access as co-chair.
Questions are welcome and can be sent to Molly at email@example.com.